Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Online Jobs & Your Network

In this economy, the number of applicants clearly exceeds the number of open positions by a wide margin. Over the last month I have applied to dozens of positions that I believe to be strong match for my abilities. I have had several interviews, but most of these interviews have been through my professional network and very few from an online job application at monster.com, careerbuilder.com, indeed.com, theladders.com, etc.

I am not used to this lack of response. Throughout my career I have always been the person who gets the quick call back, gets the interview, and gets the job. I have heard from several recruiters that organizations are absolutely flooded with resumes for every open position. I met a recruiter at a large company in the area, and she explained that 30,000 people have applied for 180 open positions at their company. Wow! 30,000! Simple math shows there is a very slim margin of having your resume pulled out of the stack and in most cases -- you need to know someone.

Anyone who is not on networking sites such as linkedin, needs to get there and build your network out now. A job seeker has a very slim chance of landing a position without a strong network. This is the only angle that is working for me so far in this job search, and is at least resulting in some good leads. I have confidence in my ability, leadership, and knowledge, and it's just a matter of time before I land somewhere again.

Hopefully that landing will be sooner rather than later.

No comments: