Sunday, October 25, 2009

MBA choice in Michigan

I have applied to 3 universities in Michigan to start an MBA in January 2010.

1. Wayne State University
2. Central Michigan University
3. Oakland University

In the end, UM-AA and MSU were too expensive and I would never see an ROI. UM-Dearborn was also too expensive and they would not consider any foundational waivers for my BBA degree (AACSB accredited) because of a 7 year limit. I don't need to repeat my BBA degree in addition to an MBA and it was very easy to rule out these options as a result. Among the three I have applied, it's going to be a tough decision for me as each program is uniquely different in the approach.

Wayne State University offers the most flexibility with courses online, downtown, or at the Farmington Hills campus. WSU also has a strong reputation in the metro Detroit area, where I plan to stay since we have family ties. CMU is a cohort program which is accellerated and completed in under 2 years. All courses seem predetermined and must be followed in order. This is nice on one hand, but also might introduce problems if the program did not go exactly according to plan. OU is also a strong reputation in metro Detroit, but does not have as much flexibility as WSU. There is not an online option, and courses are taught in Rochester Hills with some courses at the Birmingham campus. This means I would need to drive from Novi to Detroit to Rochester Hills to Novi every day of class, which might simply be just too much time in the car.

I expect the decision to come down to WSU or CMU and I will make the decision within the next month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Another big step for the MBA, it will add another dimension to your already well rounded background.

Regard
Rick C.