Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Our first foul ball....

Watching the Home Run Derby last night and all of the fans catching the dozens and dozens of balls flying into the stands brought back some memories of something that happened to me recently.

A few weeks ago we went to a Tiger game vs the Twins. We got there early, and as soon as I sat down - something happened that had never happened before in the hundreds of games I've been to over the years.

I caught a foul ball!

I had my son Andrew on one knee with my arm around him, a beer in the other hand, when a check-swing off Justin Morneau's bat resulted in a lazy foul ball that I could tell was coming right at my head. I told Andrew to hold on as I put my beer in the cupholder, reached up to grab it just when the person in front of us stepped in front and tried to catch it with one hand. It bounced off her hand and onto the seat next to me, then rolled under the seat to the back. I reached over and grabbed it and put it in Andrew's glove.

It took him a few moments to realize what happened, then he said in his 2.9 year old voice "Daddy did you catch a foul ball?" with a big smile.

Now wherever we go, whatever we do, he tells everyone just how daddy caught a foul ball (but his version might be a little different). :-)

No comments: