Monday, April 21, 2008

MCTS MOSS Configuration

I studied pretty hard for the MCTS 70-630 exam (MOSS - Configuration) and scored a 964 / 1000.

My approach:
- Received an advanced copy of the book from the publisher for "MCTS: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Configuration Study Guide". It's a good book that covers more than you need to know for the exam. I'll be posting a review at amazon soon.
- Purchased Self Test Software's 70-630 practice exam. For those that don't know, STS is owned by the same company that does the famous Transcender exams, and essentially they are the same questions except the Transcender one has a few more questions (at a much higher price).
- Spent a good two months studying on and off for it.
- Went to the local Caribou Coffee on the Sunday before and took the STS exams, if I missed a question, I would pull up my VPC with MOSS on it and learn how to do what I got wrong right then.

In retrospect, I way overstudied for this - but I didn't know what to expect. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you work with MOSS frequently just take a practice test to see how you do. If you're getting above 80% on it without memorizing the answer, you're ready.

I think I know what two questions I missed, and I still think I answered them correctly and there is a problem with the exam!

It feels good to get this one out of the way. I'm on to 70-631 next and then either 70-542 or the MCTS .NET cert (70-528 and 70-536).

No comments: