Saturday, July 21, 2007

Keep your eye on the ball!

So I'm starting to learn more and more about digital photography. First of all, there is absolutely no comparison to a Point and Shoot (P&S) compact camera to a digital SLR. Not even in the same league and the advantages are too many to list. The disadvantages to a digital SLR are pretty much two things:

1. Size: the camera is not small and with all the lenses you need to lug a bag around of all your equipment

2. Cost: There is no limit to how much you want to spend on digital SLR photography. Before I knew it I had spent $1700 on a setup, but I think this should really help me explore a new hobby that I've always enjoyed

Take this picture above for example. There is absolutely no way I would get this shot with a P&S. I was purposely trying to get his face in focus, with the background blurry and I wanted to show motion when he hit the ball. I took this photo with my Canon Digital Rebel XTi with a 50mm f1.8 lens, I think I had the aperture set to f2.2 and focused on his face. The camera is so fast it can take 3 pictures a second, so it captures these moments better than any P&S can. I'm totally sold on the idea of if you really enjoy photography, skip the P&S and go straight for an SLR if you have a little money to spend on it.

By the way, the lenses I bought are a Canon 17-85 IS USM for an everyday lens, Canon 70-300 IS USM for zoom, and a 50mm f1.8 which is great for portraits.

No comments: